Whole Masoor Dal with a coconut base
1/2 a scraped fresh coconut
100g whole masoor dal (washed and drained)
2 cloves garlic
2 onions finely chopped
1 dried red chilli
2 tsp. black masala powder
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. red chilli powder
2 tsp. sunflower oil
2 cups of hot water
Salt to taste
Coriander to garnish
Preparing the coconut base
- Add the masala powder, turmeric and chilli powder to the scraped coconut.
- Divide the chopped onions into two portions.
- Heat up a little oil in a frying pan and add in one portion of chopped onions.
- When they are brown - add in the coconut and fry turning frequently until coconut is brown.
- Take this mixture and blend it in a mixer with half a cup of water to form a paste. Keep aside.
Making the dal
- Heat up the oil in a saucepan and add in the dried red chilli, garlic and onions.
- When they are brown, add in the dal and two cups of hot water and the salt.
- Cook on simmer until the dal is soft (this should take about 15 minutes).
- Now add in the coconut paste and bring the dal to a boil.
- Garnish with coriander.
Serve hot with rice and yoghurt.