Rajma (Kidney Beans) Recipe
100 gms washed red kidney beans (Rajma) – these will need to be soaked overnight
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tin of tomatoes
1 dried red chilli
3 cloves garlic
1 chopped onion
1 potato chopped into small pieces
2 cups hot water
2 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. chilli powder
1 tbs. sunflower oil
Coriander to garnish
Salt to taste
- Heat up the oil in a saucepan and when it is hot add in the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds start to splutter, add in the garlic and dried chilli.
- When the garlic is brown, add in the onions and stir till they are soft.
- Now add in the tomatoes, salt, turmeric, chilli powder and garam masala.
- Stir until the tomato mixture is homogenised and you can actually see the oil separate from it.
- Put in the Rajma and the potatoes, stir and add in the hot water.
- Cook on simmer until the Rajma is cooked – this could take about 45 minutes. Alternately, you can use a pressure cooker – this will cook the Rajma in about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander.
Serve hot with rice and yoghurt.