Baingan Bartha Recipe
1 large Aubergine whole
1 small onion diced into small pieces
1 small tomato chopped into small pieces
2 cloves of garlic chopped into small pieces
1 dried red chilli (two if you want it spicy)
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. turmeric
Coriander to garnish
- Roast the aubergine - you can either do this in the oven or over an open fire. We normally coat the aubergine in a little oil before it is roasted.
- Once the aubergine has cooled down, peel off the skin entirely.
- Chop the aubergine into little pieces and keep aside.
- Heat up some oil in a pan and put in the mustard seeds.
- When they start to pop put in the red chilli, garlic and onions.
- Fry until the onions are brown and put in the chopped pieces of tomato.
- Fry until the oil separates from the onion-tomato mixture.
- Put in the pieces of aubergine and add the turmeric.
- Fry until the aubergine mixes well with the tomato mixture.
Serve hot with naan, pitta bread and yoghurt.