Kala Channa Recipe
3 cloves garlic
1 dried red chilli
1 tin of tomatoes
1 tin of cooked Kala channa or brown chick peas. If you are using the uncooked variety remember to soak them overnight.
1 small potato cut into cubes
1 tbs. kala Masala (this is typical of the Maharashtrian region of India)
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tbs. sunflower oil
1 cup coconut milk
Salt to taste
Coriander to garnish
- Heat up the oil in a saucepan and when it is hot, add in the red chilli and the garlic.
- When the garlic becomes brown add in the onions and stir till they are soft and brown.
- Add in the tomatoes, the kala masala, turmeric and salt. Stir until the mixture becomes thick.
- Now add in the potato pieces and stir until they become slightly soft.
- Put in the black channa and stir for a bit.
- Add in the coconut milk and cook on simmer until the potatoes (or the kala channa if it is uncooked) are cooked.
Garnish with coriander and serve hot with Jeera rice and a salad of tomatoes and onions.