Dal Palak Recipe
½ cup red dal
500 gms. spinach
200 gms. tinned sweet corn
1 tin of tomatoes
1 onion, chopped into small pieces
3 cloves garlic, chopped into small pieces
1 red chilli, whole
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. chilli powder
1 tbs. garam masala
1 tbs. sunflower oil
1 cup hot water
Salt to taste
- Heat up the oil in a saucepan and when it is hot, add in the garlic and the red chilli.
- When the garlic becomes brown add in the cumin seeds, wait for them to sizzle and then put in the onions. Stir until the onions are soft and brown.
- Add in the tomatoes, the garam masala, turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Stir until the mixture becomes thick – in fact, ideally you should be able to see the oil separate from the mixture.
- Now add in the spinach and mix thoroughly.
- Add in the dal and the sweet corn, stir and pour in the hot water.
- Cook on simmer until the dal is completely cooked.
Serve hot with rice and salad.
Note: Add a couple of potatoes to the ingredients and the dal palak becomes a meal in itself, eaten with bread on the side.