100 gms washed and drained toor dal
1 tsp. cumin seeds
½ tin of tomatoes
1 dried red chilli
2 cloves garlic
1 chopped onion
2 cups hot water
1 tsp. turmeric
1 pinch of asafoetida
1 tbs. sunflower oil
Coriander to garnish
Salt to taste
- Heat up the oil in a saucepan and when it is hot add in the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds start to splutter, add in the garlic and dried chilli.
- When the garlic is brown, add in the onions and stir till they are soft.
- Now add in the tomatoes, salt, turmeric and asafoetida.
- Put the dal in this mixture along with the hot water.
- Cook on simmer until the dal is cooked – this could take about 30 minutes. Alternately, you can use a pressure cooker – this will cook the dal in about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander.
Serve hot with rice and ghee.