Ma Daal Recipe
100 gms. Black whole Urad beans, soaked overnight and drained
1 small handful of kidney beans (Rajma), soaked overnight and drained
4 cloves garlic
1 small piece of ginger finely chopped
A small knob of butter
1 onion finely chopped
2 tomatoes cut into small pieces
1 red or green chilli (more if you’d like the dal to be spicy)
½ tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. chilli powder
1 tbs. plain yoghurt
1 tbs. sunflower oil
Salt to taste
Coriander to garnish
- Put the garlic, ginger, Rajma and urad dal in a saucepan with three cups of water and cook until the dal and the Rajma is cooked. This might take about 20 minutes, less if you use a pressure cooker. Keep aside.
- In another saucepan, heat up a little oil and fry the onions and the chilli till the onions are soft and brown.
- Add in the tomatoes, turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Stir till the onions and tomatoes blend and you can see the oil separate from the mixture.
- Put the dal back on the boil and add in the fried onions and tomatoes. Stir until completely mixed. Allow to boil on simmer for a few minutes.
- Add in the yoghurt to make the dal thick.
Garnish with coriander and serve hot with rice.